Tennessee Statutes of Limitation
|Our practice focuses primarily on representation of small and large businesses and personal injury claims due to car accidents. I enjoy both areas of the law but one thing happens with personal injury cases that could be avoided with a little information. That is, sometimes people wait to long to call for help. If you have any claim in Tennessee from breach of a contract claim to a negligence claim as a result of a car accident, there are laws that govern the time period within which you have to file your claim. We provide you this current list of the Tennessee time frames within which you have to bring a claim.
1. Personal Injuries – 1 year statute of limitation.
2. Slander – “within six (6) months after the words are uttered.”
3. Civil actions for compensatory or punitive damages brought under the Federal Civil Rights statutes – 1 year statute of limitation.
4. False Imprisonment – 1 year statute of limitation.
5. Libel – 1 year statute of limitation.
6. Malicious Prosecution – 1 year statute of limitation.
7. Medical Malpractice – 1 year statute of limitation from injury (or discovery of that injury under certain circumstances).
8. Products Liability – 1 year statute of limitations from the date of the injury, not the sale of the product.
9. Wrongful Death – 1 year statute of limitation.
10. Actions for usury (excessive interest rate) – 2 years from “the date of the payment of the debt upon which such claim for usury shall be based”.
11. Actions for detention or conversion of personal property – 3 years.
12. Injury to personal property – 3 year statute of limitation.
13. Injury to real property – 3 year statute of limitation.
14. Breach of contract causes of actions (other than those expressly provided for in specific statutes) – 6 year statute of limitation.
|Should you have any questions about these laws or need legal help, as always you can contact us at (615) 567-7300, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For other articles that may be of interest to you and client recommendations, visit www.khalawgroup.com|